Here are the major benefits of the new LearningZen Universal Video Manager:
- You can upload videos in a number of common formats, including AVI, FLV, M4V, MP4, WMV, and MP3.
- The uploading process is streamlined as compared to using services such as YouTube or Vimeo. There is no need to first upload your videos to those external sites, and then copy the embed codes to LearningZen. The new Universal Video Manager handles everything right in our course builder.
- All of the backend video encoding processing is handled automatically for you.
- The new video smart player features device detection, allowing your videos to be played anywhere, including on mobile devices, tablets, and computers.
- The new player quickly streams your videos, rather than downloading, which has in the past caused a delay before some videos start playing.
- Your videos remain private to your organization and cannot be played outside of LearningZen.
Using the new Universal Video Manager is very similar to using the existing Media Manager. Click the new icon on the course builder toolbar to display the new manager. From there you may upload a new video or you can quickly insert a video. Other features available here include the ability to set inserted properties such as height, width, alignment, and auto start. You may also preview any previously uploaded video before inserting it into your content.
After uploading, the encoding process necessary to make your videos playable on any device takes just a few minutes to complete. This is a notable difference from how videos are handled with the existing Media Manager, as videos uploaded with it are immediately available to place into your content. You will need to wait for the encoding process to complete in order to preview and insert your videos. The encoding process is complete when the video preview appears and when the encoding status message disappears.
What's Going to Happen to the Media Manager?
The Media Manager will continue to be available to support previously uploaded videos. We recommend that all new videos be uploaded through the new Universal Video Manager, in order to realize the many benefits it offers. We may decide to obsolete the Media Manager in the future, but only if our user community no longer uses it. And, if we do obsolete it, we will ensure that videos uploaded with it will remain playable in your course content.
Thank you for your support of LearningZen, and please let us know what you think of the new Universal Video Manager. Watch your email for further announcements about this feature, as we will be offering training webinars and further rollout details soon.